Attorney Help Center
This area of our website is to assist Maryland accident, medical malpractice and products' liability lawyers in handling their personal injury cases in the Baltimore-Washington area and throughout the country. If you are a victim of a car or truck accident, medical malpractice or a defective product, visit our injury victim information center or get more information about our law firm. If you are a lawyer considering referring a case to our law firm, learn more about our fee splitting agreements with co-counsel. .
- Sample Demand Letter - Three sample letters and our thoughts on how to prepare demand letters in personal injury cases
- Sample Pleadings - Examples of complaints, answers, and expert designations
- Sample Discovery - Examples of interrogatories, depositions, designation of experts, request for admissions, and request for production of documents.
- Sample Motions - Collection of motions filed by our attorneys on behalf of our personal injury clients in Maryland.
- Sample Motions in Limine - Examples of motions in limine in PI cases
- Trial - A collection of sample direct-examinations, cross-examinations, jury instructions, and opening and closing statements
- Trial Transcripts - sample trial transcripts of an auto accident cases from jury selection to verdict
- Jury Instructions - List of some pattern and non-pattern jury instructions for attorneys handling personal injury accident cases in Maryland with analysis of the instructions.
More Useful Tools for Plaintiffs' Lawyers
Miller & Zois
- Sample Correspondence - a library of letters in a personal injury case
- Personal Injury Lawyer Blog - most read personal injury attorney blog in the country, commenting on issues facing plaintiffs' trial lawyers
- Car Accident Claims from A-Z - a guide from intake through trial for handling truck and car accident claims in Maryland.
- Miscellaneous Materials for the Personal Injury Lawyer - Forms, letters, contracts and other tools that may be of assistance to injury lawyers handling auto accident, truck accident and medical malpractice cases.
Maryland Specific Information
- Maryland Law Update - Review of significant Maryland cases with attorney analysis and practice tips.
- Maryland Mediator and Arbitrators - List of arbitrators and/or mediators assisting with ADR of personal injury claims in Maryland.
This Maryland Injury Lawyer Help Center serves as a resource for Maryland malpractice lawyer, Maryland accident lawyers, and other lawyers around the country representing accident and malpractice victims.
The Maryland Injury Lawyer Help Center has a wealth of information for attorneys handling personal injury cases in Maryland and around the country including recent Maryland law updates, a glossary of Maryland insurance terms and how those terms are viewed by the Maryland courts and statutes, and an article written by Miller & Zois attorney Laura G. Zois on the handling of auto accident claims in Maryland (which is given by the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association to all injury attorneys who join the auto negligence section as a member benefit (and was the focal point of Ms. Zois' presentation to the annual convention of the American Association of Justice - formerly American Association of Trial Lawyers).
Even more useful to the practicing personal injury lawyer, the attorney help center includes such practical things as sample pleadings, discovery, motions, jury instructions and how they are used by accident lawyers in Maryland, and sample motions in limine to provide Maryland personal injury attorneys with the tools to keep out inadmissible evidence. The first provides samples that personal injury lawyers will find useful when preparing for trial, such as sample opening statements, sample direct examinations, sample cross-examinations, sample voir dire, and other personal injury accident trial tools. Our lawyers also provide personal injury lawyer blog which addresses issues that accident lawyers and malpractice lawyers in Maryland and around the country will find useful in handling personal injury cases. For Maryland trial lawyers, we also provide detailed analysis of the pros and cons of filing personal injury accident and malpractice cases in specific venues by providing a review of specific Maryland counties, such as
- Baltimore City
- Prince George's County
- Baltimore County
- Anne Arundel County
- Frederick County
- Montgomery County
- Howard County
- Cecil County
- Charles County Wicomico County (Salisbury)
- Calvert County
- Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, D.C.
Providing Help to Other Lawyers Most of our personal injury cases come from referrals from other lawyers. Learn how you can still collect a fee within our ethical rules while transferring primary responsibility for your case to us.
The response to the Maryland Personal Injury Attorney Help Center has been overwhelming, not just from Maryland accident lawyers and malpractice lawyers but from attorneys throughout the country. Given the response, we have worked hard to continue to upgrade the Maryland Injury Lawyer Help Center. Many of the major accident and malpractice lawyer blogs around the country have praised our commitment to personal injury attorney education. Our malpractice and accident lawyers have also received a good deal of feedback from accident and medical malpractice lawyers in Maryland, and many other attorneys beyond the Baltimore Washington area giving comments about what they like about the personal injury help center and what else they think is may be useful to assist injury lawyers representing malpractice and accident victims. Our lawyers incorporated many of these suggestions. If you have any comments you wish to share, please let us know.
One question we always seem to get from other Maryland injury lawyers is why do we offer our "intellectual property" at great time and expense to assist other malpractice and accident lawyers? There are two answers. First, our lawyers are dedicated to continuing to educate other injury lawyers handling accident and malpractice cases in Maryland and around the nation. The attorneys at Miller & Zois are committed to giving back to the legal community. Ron Miller is a professor at the University of Baltimore Law School, instructing students in insurance law, and a prolific writer on personal injury and insurance topics. Laura Zois and Rod Gaston are on the Board of Governors and chair committees of the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association. Laura Zois frequently lectures at seminars for lawyers in Maryland and around the country on handing personal injury cases. John Bratt is an active member of the Maryland Trial Lawyer Association's Amicus Committee, authoring briefs on issues of importance to the plaintiffs’ bar and the rights of injury victims across the state. Lisa Miller is a volunteer coach for Severna Park High School’s mock trial team. It is important to us that all of our lawyers are making an effort dedicated to assist other accident and malpractice lawyers and our clients.
Second, the majority of our lawyers' effort and dedicated to serious injury accident, medical malpractice and product liability cases that are referred to us from other lawyers. Most of those cases come from injury lawyers that turn to Miller & Zois for a co-counsel relationship for handling large personal injury cases. Our drawing card to attract lawyers handling these cases is not that we have a lot of legal form motions, discovery, etc. Instead, it is the experience we have in maximizing the value of these cases. Our law firm invites referring lawyers to remain involved as little or as much as they wish. While referring injury lawyers may receive a smaller percentage of the recovery, it is not uncommon for a referring lawyer to receive a great deal more in co-counsel attorneys’ fees than they would have collected if they had kept the case. Most importantly, the referring lawyer comfortably knows that the injured client has been directed to accident or malpractice lawyers with the training and resources to maximize the value of their case.
- More Information for Referring Lawyers
- More Information on Miller & Zois' Injury Lawyers (lawyer biographies)
- Maryland Injury Lawyer Blog (blog directed to injury lawyers in Maryland and around the nation on handling cases involving accident, malpractice and product liability cases)
- Maryland Accident Lawyer Blog (discussion of issues related specifically to Maryland accident lawyers)
- Maryland Malpractice Lawyer Blog