Car Accident Wrongful Death Settlements and Verdicts in Maryland
When a victim dies as the result of someone's mistake, the last thing they are thinking about is how much money they will get for their loss. Almost invariably, they focus on their own pain and grief and the anguish of others they love dealing with the loss. But after that, the survivors turn to their desire for at least some measure of justice and/or they focus on how they will survive economically. From this, their question becomes, "How much money will I get to compensate me for this loss?" Are their statistics and data on Maryland wrongful death verdicts that will help me better understand the range of compensation I can expect?
This page will provide answers for you to these questions.Average Wrongful Death Settlement/Verdict
There are a lot of statistics that provide information on the average value of a wrongful death claim, both in Maryland and nationally. Here are a few useful statistics:
- The average fatal accident or malpractice claim for an adult man is $4.1 million ($1.4 million median); for a adult woman, it is $3.1 million ($1.4 million median)
- The average verdict for a minor male is $4.3 million ($2 million median); for minor girls the average is $3.4 million ($1.5 million median).(No, we can't explain the difference.)
- The average verdict for deaths over 65 is $1.3 million.
- The average settlement/verdict (combining the two) in Maryland traffic accident death claims is $500,000.
The last statistic seems out of place. Why does the average value fall to $500,000 when settled cases are thrown in the mix. Two reason:
- There are many car accident deaths where the insurance policies are not large enough to cover the loss. It happens rarely but we have settled motor vehicle collision fatality claims for as little as $20,000 because there was such limited insurance to cover the claim.
- The cap on pain and suffering damages limits the settlement value of the case to less than the average of what a jury might give. Accordingly, if a jury awards $10 million in pain and suffering, for example, that verdict would be reduced to between $680,000 and $2 million, depending on the details of the case and the year of the fatality.
More on Wrongful Death
If you live in the Baltimore Washington area someone you love has been killed we can help you. Get a free on-line no obligation consultation with our lawyers or just call us at 800-553-8082.More on Death Claims in Baltimore-Washington Area
- A look at wrongful death and survival actions in motor tort cases
- Understand more about the second type of claim after the negligent killing of another person: the survival action
- One forgetton way to maximize the value of these cases
So, to give you a better idea of the value of a case, we provide below some verdicts and settlements - most handled by our law firm - in Maryland wrongful death cases. Keep in mind, particularly where there is a fatality, you can't perfectly compare verdicts. You might see a case that sounds exactly like yours but it is very different in an important way. These verdicts are helpful but you need to take these with a pinch - and sometimes a handful - of salt.