Example Lawsuit in a Failure to Pay PIP or Med Pay
1234 Mountain Drive
Glen Burnie, Maryland 21601,
MARYLAND AUTOMOBILE INS FUND (MAIF)
Alfred W. Redmer, Jr.
525 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, Md 21202-2272,
IN THE DISTRICT COURT
FOR ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY (Annapolis)
CASE NO.: 0702-0000000-2005
Plaintiff, Michelle Jackson, (hereinafter referred to as the Plaintiff) by and through her attorneys Laura G. Zois and Miller & Zois, LLC brings suit against the Defendant, Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund (MAIF), and in support thereof states as follows:COUNT I - BREACH OF CONTRACT - PIP BENEFITS
- That at all times, the Defendant, MAIF, was a corporation licensed in the State of Maryland to provide insurance including, but not limited to, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.
- That on or before October 7, 2013, the Defendant, MAIF provided a policy of insurance which included PIP coverage to Ally Marshall Jackson.
- That on October 7, 2013, the Plaintiff, Michelle Jackson, the mother of Ally Marshall Jackson, was a passenger in Ally Marshall Jackson’s vehicle which was involved in a motor vehicle collision in the State of Maryland.
- That on October 7, 2013, the Plaintiff was living with her daughter, Ally Marshall Jackson at 1234 Mountain Drive, Glen Burnie Maryland 21061.
- That following the collision the Defendant, MAIF, forwarded counsel for the Plaintiff an Application for Benefits under the PIP policy.
- That on February 10, 2014, Plaintiff completed and signed the Application for Benefits and returned it to the Defendant, MAIF.
- That since February 10, 2014, the Plaintiff has demanded benefits due her under the PIP policy from the Defendant, but the Defendant has refused to pay same.
- That said denial is without justification.
- That under Maryland Code, Section 19-508(c), payment of benefits that are not made within 30 days after the insurer receives satisfactory proof of claim, said benefits are overdue and shall bear simple interest at the rate of 1.5% per month.
WHEREFORE, the Plaintiff demands judgment against the Defendant, MAIF in the amount of $1,935.00 plus costs, pre-judgment interest, and post-judgment interest as this Court deems appropriate.
Miller & Zois, LLC
Laura G. Zois
1 South St, #2450
Baltimore, MD 21202
Attorney for the Plaintiff
Note: In Maryland, if you are filing a no-fault PIP lawsuit, you are going to lose money. The juice is never worth the squeeze. But sometimes, when you are fighting for a client, you have to do what you have to do to be a zealous advocate for them.