Letter Requesting Police Report
Send someone down to the Cecil County police station to get the police report if you have a large case with a possible liability dispute. You want to figure out who the witnesses and get their stories sooner rather than later. The police are often not racing to return these to lawyers as quickly as they possibly can. Also note: there is no set fee to get a police report in Cecil County. They will bill you if there is a cost.
January 21, 2018
Elkton Police Department
100 Railroad Avenue
Elkton, Maryland 21921
Attn: Central Records
Re: Report #: 11-27896
Driver of vehicle 1: Marie E. Beatty
Passenger # 1: Jeannette Smith
Driver of Vehicle 2: David L. Berth
Date of accident: December 19, 2012
Time of accident: 5:50PM
Location of accident: Highway 40 (east)
Investigating officer: UNKNOWN
My Client: Jeannette Smith
Dear Sir or Madam:
On December 21 2012, my client Jennette Smith was seriously injured in a truck collision and was rushed to Union Hospital. We believe that your department arrived on the scene and conducted an investigation.
Please send the police report for the above-captioned accident. I believe we have provided sufficient information to locate the report, but if the number or is incorrect or there are any concerns, please let us know. If there is a fee for retrieving this report, please fax an invoice to my attention at (410) 760-8922 or contact me directly at (410) 779-4600.
Accordingly, would you kindly process my request for a copy of the accident report for the above-described traffic accident ASAP?
Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter.
Very truly yours,
Legal Assistant to Ronald V. Miller, Jr.
- How to Obtain Police Reports in Maryland -information on getting police reports under new Maryland law
- Sample Request for Police Report Form
- Sample Police Report #1 (head-on accident)
- Sample Police Report #2 (wrongful death)
- Maryland Law on Order Police Accident Reports
- Sample Demand Letter
- What Is the Value of My Personal Injury Case? (how lawyers and juries determine value)
- Handling Your Own Personal Injury Case (for those handling your case without a lawyer, here are some things to keep in mind)
- Personal Injury Attorney Help Center (guide for lawyers handling personal injury cases - includes sample depositions, trial transcripts, complaints, interrogatories, etc.)
- Looking to Refer Your Personal Injury Case? (Miller & Zois splits fees with co-counsel consistent with Maryland Rule 1.5(e) with attorneys in Maryland and throughout the country)