Template Motion for Consolidation of Claims
IN THE CIRCUIT COURT FOR BALTIMORE COUNTY, MARYLAND
STEVEN A. MANNING - Plaintiff
MARGARIA LASANTA - Defendant,
CASE NO. 13-C-02-053875MOTION TO CONSOLIDATE
Steven A. Manning, Plaintiff, by his attorneys, Ronald V. Miller, Jr., Laura G. Zois, and Miller & Zois, LLC, moves pursuant to Maryland Rule 2-503(a) for a consolidation of Circuit Court for Baltimore County, Maryland, Case No.: 13-C-02-053875 with the instant case filed in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City this date, and for grounds therefor says:
- This case involves wrongful death traffic crash on August 26, 2011. Plaintiff filed suit against driver, Margaria Lasanta, in Baltimore County on December 6, 2012. See Exhibit 1. Plaintiff has not yet been served and there has been no other activity on the case.
- On March 26, 2011, GEICO filed a motion to intervene in the case pending in Baltimore County. See Exhibit 2.
- Plaintiff filed suit against GEICO in Baltimore City Circuit Court.
- GEICO habitually engages in regular business in Baltimore City.
- Plaintiff's counsel spoke this morning to Defendant's Margaria Lasanta's counsel. Defendant is not certain at this time whether she will contest Plaintiff's motion or agree to venue in Baltimore City. The undersigned attorney expects to confer again later this week on this issue and expects to reach agreement on the venue question.
- Even if Ms. Lasanta does not stipulate to jurisdiction in Baltimore City, this case should be consolidated in Baltimore City. GEICO does business substantial business in Baltimore City. The attorneys for both GEICO and Ms. Lasanta are located in Baltimore City. Plaintiff also received substantial medical care for his injuries in Baltimore City. Ms. Lasanta is a Anne Arundel County resident with no substantial contacts with Baltimore County. Defendants cannot meet their burden of showing that the balance weighs so strongly in favor of Baltimore County that the Plaintiff’s proper choice of forum should be overthrown.
Accordingly, Plaintiff respectfully requests that his case against Margaria Lasanta in Baltimore County be consolidated with Plaintiff's case against GEICO in Baltimore City.
MILLER & ZOIS, LLC
Ronald V. Miller, Jr.
1 South St, #2450
Baltimore, MD 21202
Attorney for the Plaintiff