Example Deposition Notices
Below are example deposition notices. For lawyers (and moot court students), these samples give both the form language need to note a deposition and the types of documents you may wish the deponent to bring with them for the deposition.
You do not need to get permission for the witness or the party to note a deposition in Maryland. But a court is not going to look very kindly to a lawyer who unilaterally notes depositions without trying to secure a convenient date, time, and place for all of the relevant parties. There are no concrete rules for deposition location or time. The key is being reasonable.
What Needs to Be in Your Notice of Deposition?
The key components you want in your deposition notices are
- The names, addresses, email addresses, attorney bar numbers, and telephone numbers of each attorney and who they represent.
- The type of deposition notice should be clearly characterized in the document title. If you are doing a videotaped deposition, make sure you make that crystal clear.
- The date, time, and location where the questioning will occur.
- The records the witness should bring to the deposition (duces tecum)
- Signature block for the attorney noting the deposition.