MZ Verdicts & Settlements
Over the last decade and a half, Miller & Zois has recovered over $100 million in compensation for victims and their families. Our focus in every single case is to maximize the value of the client's claim. We fight so victims can be fully compensated for the harm that has been done to them. In many cases, the money we get for our clients is literally life changing and that is exactly why we do this. We form strong personal bonds with many of our injured clients and nothing is more rewarding than giving them financial security in the form of a settlement check.
There are not many personal injury firms in Maryland who can match our record of success. Every insurance company we face knows exactly who we are. Our reputation is that our lawyers will spare nothing to put our client's claim in the best possible position to win.
Below is a sampling of some of verdicts and settlements in our biggest client success stories. Each one of these verdicts or settlements is a source of tremendous pride and achievement for both us and our clients. Case summaries are provided for the verdicts, but confidential restrictions prevent us from reporting details about the cases that resulted in settlements.
|$10,000,000 Malpractice Verdict||$3,800,000 Malpractice Settlement|
|$8,000,000 Car Crash Verdict||$3,250,000 Malpractice Settlement|
|$5,500,000 Malpractice Verdict||$2,500,000 Malpractice Settlement|
|$5,200,000 Malpractice Verdict||$2,100,000 Product Settlement|
|$2,500,000 Surgical Error Verdict||$1,350,000 Truck Accident Settlement|
|$1,500,000 Malpractice Verdict||$1,300,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,100,000 Surgical Error Verdict||$1,200,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,000,050 Truck Crash Verdict||$1,100,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,350,000 Truck Accident Settlement|
|$1,300,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,200,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,100,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
|$1,000,000 Truck Accident Settlement|
|$1,000,000 Car Crash Settlement|
|$1,000,000 Truck Crash Settlement|
- $10,000,000 Malpractice Verdict: Our client, Mr. Allen, was a pastor from Baltimore City who was a patient at the University of Maryland Medical Center in 2013 because of multiple medical issues. While at the hospital, Mr. Allen experiences a sudden spike in the level of potassium in his blood which must be treated very quickly or it will disrupt his heart rate. The doctor gives him a potentially dangerous drug called Kayexalate to treat his condition. The Kayexalate causes intestinal necrosis and Mr. Allen dies. Intestinal necrosis is a known side effect of Kayexalate in certain patients and the hospital itself had policies that warned of bowel death with Kayexalate. We took the case to trial and the jury awarded $10 million in damages to the family of Mr. Allen.
- $8,000,000 Car Crash Verdict: In this case we represented a mother who lost her son in a car accident. The son was a passenger in his friend’s car on the way home from a night club. The friend crossed the center lane of traffic on a two-way road and hit a bus head on. The friend was hardly injured but our client’s son lost his life in the accident. We filed a wrongful death action against the driver and took the case all the way to trial where the jury awarded $8 million in damages.
- $5,500,000 Malpractice Verdict: Our client's 53-year-old mother underwent successful open-heart surgery. After the surgery the mother has pacing wires placed in her chest to help regulate her heart rate. When the pacing wires are eventually removed it causes massive internal bleeding and the mother dies in the hospital. We represented the woman’s daughter in a wrongful death malpractice suit against the doctor’s who improperly inserted the pacing wires causing her mother’s death. The doctor refused to admit wrongdoing or settle the case but we eventually got a Prince George’s County jury to award our client $5.5 million.
- $5,200,000 Malpractice Verdict: Our client, a 49-year-old man, goes to emergency room after injuring his leg and knee. Doctors at the ER take some x-rays of his knee and send him home with a diagnosis of a sprained knee. 2 days later our client is back in the ER for the same leg injury and they end up having to amputate his leg above the knee because doctors failed to discover damage to his popliteal artery in his initial ER visit. We brought a medical malpractice action against the doctors and after a hard fought trial the jury awarded our client $5.2 million.
- $2,500,000 Surgical Error Verdict: Our client's husband undergoes surgery at Montgomery General Hospital to repair a broken hip. Two days after the operation he suddenly experiences multiple organ failures and dies. We brought a wrongful death malpractice case and proved to a jury that our client’s husband died because of a lack of fluids resulting in kidney shutdown and doctors ignored numerous warnings. The jury awarded our client $2.5 million to compensate for the loss of her husband.
- $1,500,000 Malpractice Verdict: Our client undergoes diagnostic testing suggesting that she is at increased risk of cancer. Her physician shows imaging results with the words "tumor" and "mass" on it. She is told to get an immediate ERCP (a procedure that enables doctors to examine the pancreatic and bile ducts) but the procedure causes her to develop pancreatitis and may not have even been necessary. We filed a medical malpractice case on her behalf. The insurance company went to mediation but refused to make any settlement offer so we took the case to trial and the jury awarded $1.5 million in damages.
- $1,000,050 Truck Crash Verdict: Our client was hit by large tractor trailer truck and suffered a severe leg fracture in the accident that ultimately required two separate surgeries to repair. The insurance company’s defense lawyers made a ridiculous and insulting settlement offer of just $25,000, insisting that this was all the claim was worth. We rejected that offer and gladly took this case to trial where the jury decided that the case was actually worth $1 million.