Arm Injury Settlement Compensation Payouts
Our lawyers have handled scores of arm injury lawsuits in car, truck, and motorcycle accident cases.
One of the most serious injuries a victim can suffer in a car accident or slip and fall is an injured or broken arm. Arm injuries, particularly fractured and broken arms, are more common in slip and fall and other personal injury cases than car accidents.
But arm breaks and fractures do commonly occur in high-impact car and truck accidents and are typical in motorcycle accident claims. These injuries in a car crash recently received attention when a major league pitcher broke his arm in a car crash.
Still, a broken arm or another arm injury in a car accident most commonly occurs when the victim is a pedestrian.
The average settlement value of the broken arm, forearm, wrist, elbow, and hand cases will depend on the severity of injury and whether the injury is permanent. If you have a healing time for a clean break of six weeks, the settlement compensation will be less than a permanent injury.
Elbow Injury Settlement Amounts
Our lawyers also see a lot of elbow injuries in car and truck accidents. The elbow bone is vulnerable. It is not protected by muscle or fat and if it takes a hard hit, it can fracture or break. When a broken elbow collides with the triceps muscle, surgery is usually required.
A common elbow injury in car accidents our lawyers often see involves the radial head. The radial head is the ball of the forearm where it connects to the elbow. A serious car accident can cause breaks in the neck and head of the radius. The radial head can also get jammed, causing tendon damage.
Our lawyers have handled a large number of elbow injury cases. We have not seen statistics on average below injury settlements. We estimate the average elbow settlement amount is between $50,000 and $150,000. The biggest variable in settlement compensation payouts is the severity of the injury.
- Get wrist, hand, and finger injury settlement and verdicts
- Settlement value of shoulder injury cases
Maryland Arm Injury Settlement/Verdicts
- 2022, Maryland (Baltimore City) $14,000 Settlement. The plaintiff alleged that she suffered injuries to her right arm and shoulder when she was struck by an uninsured motorist. The specific nature of the arm injury was not disclosed in the verdict summary, but it was presumably a soft tissue injury such as a sprain.
- 2022, Maryland (Baltimore City) $17,200 Verdict. The plaintiff claimed that he was rear-ended by a phantom vehicle that left the scene of the accident. He alleged that he suffered unspecified injuries to his left arm and shoulder. Jury in Baltimore City awarded $11,000 for past medical expenses and $6,000 for pain and suffering.
- 2020, Maryland (Prince George’s County) $35,125 Verdict. A married couple was sideswiped on Route 4 in Prince George’s County. The wife suffered right arm and upper back sprains and strains. She also suffered a concussion. The woman underwent physical therapy and epidural injections. She continued to experience residual headaches. The husband suffered bilateral leg and lower back sprains and strains. He experienced radiating pain down both legs. The man underwent physical therapy and epidural injections. The couple alleged that the at-fault driver’s negligence caused their injuries. They claimed he failed to properly pass them and maintain a proper lookout. A jury, who clearly did not buy their entire claim, awarded the couple $35,125.
- 2019, Maryland (Baltimore City) $55,000 Settlement. A man was placed on a gurney. As the EMT attempted to put him in an ambulance, the gurney tipped over. The man fell. He suffered injuries to his right arm, right leg, lower back, and teeth. The man alleged that the EMTs’ negligence caused his injuries. He claimed they failed to properly put him in the ambulance and timely assist him after he fell. The man made a vicarious liability claim against the ambulance transportation company. This case settled for $55,000.
- 2019, Maryland (Baltimore City) $80,000 Verdict. A pedestrian was struck at a crosswalk. She suffered bicep tendon and left rotator cuff tears. She also experienced the aggravation of her pre-existing emotional distress. The woman alleged that the at-fault driver’s negligence caused her injuries. She claimed he failed to yield the right-of-way, pay attention to pedestrians, maintain a proper lookout, and properly control his vehicle. The Baltimore City jury awarded $80,000.
- 2018, Maryland (Carroll County) $575,000 Verdict. The plaintiffs, a mother and daughter, were passengers in a vehicle on Route 26 in Sykesville when they were hit by a dump truck. As a result of the accident, the daughter suffered multiple bone fractures in her right arm and the mother claimed head trauma and a fractured hand. They sued the dump truck driver. The defense disputed the nature and extent of the alleged damages and took the case to trial. A jury in Carroll County, a notable tough county on plaintiffs, sided with the plaintiffs and awarded $525,000. The daughter received $200,000 in pain and suffering for her broken arm.
- 2013, Maryland (Anne Arundel County): $56,392 Verdict. Two Plaintiffs are involved in a motor vehicle accident and suffer neck, back, and arm injuries. The defendant driver had veered across the center line and struck the plaintiffs’ vehicle. One plaintiff is transported by ambulance to the hospital, and the other plaintiff seeks medical treatment a week later. The defendant alleges the plaintiffs had pre-existing injuries before the accident. The plaintiffs file a motor vehicle negligence suit, and the jury awarded the plaintiffs $26,084 and $30,308 respectively.
- 2011, Maryland (Baltimore County): $100,000 Verdict. Plaintiff loses control of his vehicle and crashes into a jersey barrier. After the crash, the vehicle was partially in the left lane of travel. The defendant driver struck the plaintiff’s vehicle resulting in the plaintiff suffering a fractured hand and near amputation of his dominant arm due to a severe laceration. Plaintiff requires a surgical repair due to the arm laceration and has significant scarring. Plaintiff alleges the defendant failed to properly observe traffic and could have avoided the accident. A jury awards the plaintiff $100,000.
- 2011, Maryland (Harford County): $47,600 Verdict. Plaintiff is rear-ended by the defendant on the Bellaire bypass. The plaintiff suffers a serious arm injury with ulnar nerve damage that requires future nerve transposition surgery. Defendant driver admits liability for causing the accident but denied the plaintiff’s injuries were caused by the vehicle accident. A jury awards the plaintiff $47,600.
- 2010, Maryland (Baltimore County): $50,813 Verdict. Plaintiff, while driving at night, strikes a construction container that was placed on a residential street without warning signs or lights. The plaintiff suffers a fractured hand and a concussion from the collision. Defendant Construction Company claims the plaintiff was aware of the container on the street and should have stopped before colliding with the container when seeing traffic coming from the other direction. A jury awards the plaintiff $50,813.
- 2010, Maryland (Baltimore City): $68,734 Verdict. Plaintiff is traveling through an intersection when the defendant runs a red light and crashes into the plaintiff’s vehicle. Plaintiff suffers a serious elbow injury and settles with the defendant’s insurance company for an undisclosed amount. Plaintiff alleges his damages from the motor vehicle accident exceeds the policy limits and brings an underinsured motorist claim against USAA. In a bench trial, the Judge awards the plaintiff $68,734.
National Arm Injury Settlement/Verdicts
- 2023, New York $40,000 Settlement: A man was carrying his young daughter in his arms when tripped and fell on a large gap in the sidewalk on property owned by the defendant (a church). The daughter suffered a nondisplaced fracture of the left distal radius and ulna (lower arm and wrist). The father brought a premises liability lawsuit for failure to maintain the sidewalk.
- 2022, Louisiana $30,264 Verdict: The plaintiff was shopping at a grocery store in a shopping center owned by the defendant when she tripped and fell while walking over a curb in the parking lot at night. The plaintiff suffered a displaced fracture in her upper right arm and claimed over $30k in medical expenses. She brought a premises liability claim alleging that the defendant failed to provide adequate lighting in the parking lot.
- 2022, Washington $250,000 Settlement: The plaintiff was staying at a Days Inn. When she entered her room she tripped and fell over an uneven threshold and suffered mid-shaft fracture of her upper arm requiring extensive surgery with over $40k in medical expenses. The case was eventually settled just before trial.
- 2021, Florida $459,055 Verdict: A 45-year-old man tripped and fell at Dollar Tree. He sustained a left elbow fracture displacement and knee pain. The man underwent an open reduction and internal fixation procedure on his elbow. He continued to experience residual elbow and knee pain. His slip and fall lawsuit alleged that the Dollar Tree employees’ failure to maintain safe premises caused his injuries.
- 2020, New York $50,000 Settlement: A 5-year-old boy tripped and fell in his school’s playground. The boy’s adoptive mother alleged that the school’s negligence caused his injuries. She claimed they provided negligent supervision and improperly trained staff. The child received a settlement compensation payout of $50,000 before trial.
- 2020, California $250,000 Settlement: A 91-year-old woman was struck by a reversing vehicle in a parking lot. She suffered a left elbow fracture, elbow lacerations, left rami hairline fractures, facial and jaw contusions, and a concussion. The woman alleged that the at-fault driver’s negligence caused her injuries. She claimed she failed to maintain a proper lookout and yield to a pedestrian. This case settled for $250,000.
- 2020, New York $104,695 Bench Verdict: A man slipped and fell on a convenience store rug mat. He fractured his elbow. The man alleged that the convenience store’s negligence caused his injury. His lawsuit claimed they created dangerous conditions and failed to warn of them. The court awarded the man $104,695.
- 2019, Washington $200,000 Settlement: Plaintiff, a 42-year-old female accountant, was walking in a crosswalk in downtown Seattle when she was struck by the defendant’s vehicle. The plaintiff suffered a fractured right arm and shoulder requiring surgical repair with orthopedic hardware. Liability was not disputed and the defendant agreed to settle the claim for policy limits of $200k. This case was likely worth a great deal more. But sometimes the search for additional insurance comes up empty as it apparently did here.
- 2018, Florida $600,000 Settlement. The plaintiff alleged that a van, driven by the defendant driver, and owned by the defendant landscaping company, made a negligent right turn and struck her in a Broward County crosswalk. As a result of the accident, the plaintiff suffered a fractured right arm and under surgical repair involving the implantation of orthopedic hardware. She also alleged disc herniations requiring surgery. The defendant agreed to settle the case before trial for $600,000.
- 2017, Nevada $50,000 Settlement. Plaintiff, a 12-year-old boy, reportedly suffered fractures to his femur and arm when he was struck while walking home from school by a vehicle operated by the defendant. The plaintiff contended, through his father, that the defendant operated her vehicle negligently. The parties agreed to settle for the benefit of the minor plaintiff.
- 2016, Texas: $41,000 Settlement. A passenger in a car suffered a broken arm as the result of the negligence of the driver of the vehicle. Parties agreed to settle the claim for $41k.
- 2016, Connecticut: $74,077 Verdict. Plaintiff is driving her vehicle when she is sideswiped by the defendant driver. The defendant was backing out from a driveway. Plaintiff suffers multiple injuries, including an injury to her wrist. Plaintiff responds to the emergency room and is diagnosed with soft tissue injuries and received chiropractic treatments. Defendant claims that the plaintiff was comparatively negligent and alleges the plaintiff’s injuries were pre-existing. A jury awarded the plaintiff $74,077.
- 2016, Alabama: $40,000 Settlement. Plaintiff is involved in a motor vehicle accident while traveling on-the-job. Plaintiff suffers multiple injuries including right shoulder, arm, and hand injuries. Plaintiff files a claim for worker’s compensation; however, the defendant employment company alleges the injuries pre-existed the collision. The parties proceed to mediation and the claim is settled for $40,000.
- 2015, Florida: $100,000 Verdict. Plaintiff is stopped at a traffic light and is rear-ended by the defendant driver. Plaintiff suffers from injuries, including right shoulder and elbow bone bruising, partial rotator cuff and tendon tears, right elbow ulnar nerve thickening, and abnormal nerve signal strength. Defendant alleges the injuries were pre-existing conditions from overuse and repetitive movements and were not caused by the vehicle accident. A jury awards the plaintiff $100,000.
- 2015, Connecticut: $1,400,000 Verdict. Plaintiff is traveling when she is struck head-on by defendant driver. Plaintiff is transported by an ambulance to an emergency room and diagnosed with multiple injuries, including a mid-shaft fracture of the left ulna of her dominant arm. Plaintiff has multiple appointments with her primary care physician, orthopedic surgeon, and physical therapy sessions. Defendant alleges the broken arm is from a prior fall and not related to the vehicle accident. A jury awards the plaintiff $1,400,000 in past medical costs and for past and future pain and suffering.
- 2015, New Jersey: $170,000 Settlement. Plaintiff is traveling northbound on a highway when he is struck behind by an oil delivery truck. The collision propels the plaintiff’s vehicle forward and is then struck again by the same oil delivery truck. Plaintiff is transported by an ambulance to an emergency room and X-rays reveal fractures to both wrists. Plaintiff later develops bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome in his wrists. The defense acknowledges the broken wrists were due to the accident but they disputed the causal relationship of his other injuries. The case settles in mediation, and the plaintiff receives $170,000.
How Much in an Arm Injury Settlement Worth?
The average settlement value for an arm injury in a personal injury lawsuit can range anywhere from $10,000 to $150,000, depending on exactly what type of arm injury is involved.
Minor arm injuries, such as a sprained wrist or elbow, will be at the lower end of the value range. Serious injuries to the arm, such as upper arm fractures, will be at the higher end of the settlement value range.
What Type of Arm Injury Has the Highest Settlement Value?
The arm injury with the highest potential settlement value is a complex fracture of the upper arm bone (humerus). Upper arm fractures are more serious compared to lower arm fractures and often require more extensive surgical repair, especially for complex fractures.
How Much Is a Broken Arm Worth in a Lawsuit?
The average settlement value for a broken arm in a personal injury lawsuit is around $50,000 to $80,000. Upper arm fractures are worth more than lower arm fractures. The most serious broken arm cases (those involving multiple fractures or bone splinters) can have a settlement value of $300,000 or more.
What Impacts the Value of a Broken Arm Case?
Two primary factors drive the settlement value of broken arms in personal injury lawsuits: (1) the type and location of the fracture, and (2) how the broken arm impacts the victim’s life.
Getting a Lawyer for Your Arm Injury Claim
If you have suffered an arm or shoulder injury in an automobile or truck accident and want to consider a lawsuit or a claim for an out-of-court settlement, call one of our lawyers at 800-553-8082 or click here for a free no-obligation Internet consultation.