MedStar St. Mary's Hospital is located in Southern Maryland in Leonardtown. It was established in 1912, and now has 130 beds and delivers emergency, acute inpatient and outpatient care. MedStar St. Mary's is part of the Chesapeake-Potomac Healthcare Alliance with Calvert Memorial and University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center. Since 2009, MedStar St. Mary's is also part of MedStar Health, which is the largest not-for-profit health system in the mid-Atlantic Region, with nine hospitals.
The hospital employs over 1,200 associates. In 2015, MedStar St. Mary's treated 98,180 outpatient visits and had 6,915 inpatient admissions. The hospital saw over 52,000 emergency visits and 12,292 urgent care visits.
The hospital offers a range of services, including:
- Eye Care
- Emergency Care
- Rehabilitation (Cardiac and Pulmonary)
- Wound Care
- Sleep Center
- Internal Medicine
- Primary Medicine
- Maternity Services
- Heart Care/Vascular Disease
In 2011, MedStar St. Mary's opened an outpatient pavilion. This addition contains:
- Cancer Care and Infusion Services
- Outpatient Imaging
- Women's Health Services
- Laboratory Center
- Specialty Physicians (orthopedic, vascular, and colon/rectal surgeons)
- Health Connections Community Outreach
MedStar St. Mary's is accredited by the Joint Commission. From 2012-2015, it earned the HealthGrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, placing it in the top 5% of U.S. hospitals. HealthGrades also rated the hospital as a Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of COPD from 2007-2014. MedStar St. Mary's has an award for Excellent Stroke Care as well.
So how good of a hospital is St. Mary's? Medicare gives it three stars. That sounds about right.Lawsuits Filed Against MedStar St. Mary's Hospital
We have not been able to find any verdicts or settlements involving St. Mary's Hospital, which is likely due to a combination of the settlements being confidential and the cases settling early on. Also not an insignificant factor: St. Mary's County is a tough place to try medical malpractice claims. We have had a lot of success on the Eastern Shore. But St. Mary's County jurors are typically going to favor doctors and hospitals in close call cases. Most malpractice lawsuits filed by experienced medical malpractice attorneys in St. Mary's County are very viable claims or they would not been filed in the first place.
Here are some lawsuits that have been filed against MedStar St. Mary's Hospital in the past few years. We do not have a ton of details on many of these claims.
- § 2019: Miller v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice claim involving delayed diagnosis for sinus tumor
- § 2016: Petroskey v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice claim alleging that a computerized tomography was incorrectly read
- § 2015: Siebert v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice case regarding negligent care of a patient will a fall risk
- § 2015: Heimer v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice claim alleging misdiagnosis of extensive spinal epidural abscess resulting in a permanent neurological injury
- § 2014: Holder v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice claim after the misdiagnosis of plaintiff's condition resulting in sepsis
- § 2014: Seibert v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2014: Biscoe v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice claim arguing negligence leading to stroke and permanent hemiparesis
- § 2013: Morgan v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2012: Thompson v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice case alleging the hospital failed to diagnose and treat plaintiff's portal-vein thrombosis leading to brain injuries and organ failure
- § 2011: Tunick v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2011: Baird v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2006: Alley v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice wrongful death
- § 2006: Hart v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2006: Fuesel v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2004: Guy v. St. Mary's Hospital - medical malpractice
- § 2002: McCampbell v. St. Mary's Hospital - tort/negligence
- § 2001: McIntosh v. St. Mary's Hospital - tort/negligence
Contact Miller and Zois today if you or someone you know was a patient at St. Mary's Hospital and were seriously injured. You can get a free consultation online or give us a call at 800-553-8082 to talk to one of our attorney's. Our firm has a history of settlements and large verdicts in medical malpractice cases in Maryland.Other Information & Related Topics
- Take a look at all of the kinds of claims that Miller and Zois handles
- An overview of medical malpractice claims
- Another MedStar facility located in Baltimore City
- Information about St. Mary's County
- What is the potential value of a medical malpractice case?
- A case filed in 2016 in Charles County after a girl was born at St. Mary's Hospital
- A case filed in 2016 against another MedStar facility in Prince George's County