Prince George's Hospital Center is located in Cheverly, Maryland. A part of the Dimensions Healthcare System (which includes Laurel Regional Hospital and the Bowie Health Center), it was founded in 1944 and is a large teaching hospital. This hospital, along with Doctors Community Hospital, provide the majority of the hospital care in the Prince George's County.
PGHC provides care in a wide variety of areas, including emergency medicine and traumatic critical care, obstetrics (including a home-like birthing center with midwives), cardiac care, and a wide variety of surgical procedures.
Approximately half of the patients at Prince George's Hospital Center are on Medicaid or are uninsured which puts financial pressure on the facility.
But this is a low-quality hospital. Prince George's County residents hoping to get good care and avoid medical malpractice have long driven past P.G. County hospitals to seek care in Washington, D.C., or Anne Arundel or Montgomery County.
In 2016, the University of Maryland is working the county and state officials to replace PGHC with a new $650 million facility in Largo. State approval is still needed.
The hospital has 421 beds, about 83,000 emergency room admissions per year, and 14,000 inpatient admissions per year. There are a little over 2,000 deliveries per year.
Prince George's County is a very good jurisdiction, relatively speaking, for plaintiffs, so most cases against PGHC are filed in the Prince George's County Circuit Court. Defense lawyers and insurance adjusters know this, and it can help grease the path to settlement in medical malpractice cases. Most cases filed in the Prince George's County Circuit Court get to trial within 15 months, sometimes even in a year from the date of filing.
A few years ago, Prince George's County Hospital was hit with a $16.5 million malpractice verdict in a cerebral palsy case.Prince George's Hospital Center's Defense Team
Prince George's Hospital is typically defended by Brault Graham, LLC; Armstrong, Donohue, Ceppos, Vaughan & Rhodes, Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, and Phillip Zuber from Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher.Ordering Medical Records from Prince George's Hospital Center
Lawyers and their physician experts need medical records in order to determine whether you have a medical malpractice lawsuit. If you want to order them yourself, records from PGHC can be obtained from:
Prince Georges Hospital Center
3001 Hospital Drive
Cheverly, Maryland 20785
If you believe that you have a medical malpractice case against Prince George's Hospital Center, contact our medical malpractice attorneys at 1.800.553.8082, or send us a free internet request for consultation. We try hard to give prospective clients a nearly instant response.Prince George's Hospital Information
- New radio frequency technology to prevent retained surgical items
- P.G. Hospital was on the brink just 6 years ago
- Is the hospital going to be replaced by a $500 million University of Maryland facility? Progress is coming. But, in 2017, Governor Hogan may be backing out of a promise for the needed level of state funding to make the project work
- A case filed against Prince George's Hospital in 2017
- Another 2017 case against P.G. Hospital involving an alleged failure to treat a popliteal artery injury
- Another case filed against P.G. Hospital, this one regarding an acid reflux surgery
- The inside story on Maryland malpractice claims
- Medical malpractice questions that are frequently asked
- Take a look at virtually every hospital in Maryland
- Prince George's County is our favorite jurisdiction in Maryland to bring personal injury medical malpractice claims. This is why.