A common question that accident victims ask is, how much is my case worth? The awards for broken leg bone cases vary depending upon the type of fracture.
For example, for a fibula or tibia fracture, the median recovery is approximately $85,000. Not surprisingly, that number more than doubles to $167,000 for a femur fracture, which is a far more serious injury. For multiple fracture or comminuted cases, the median verdict rises to $193,000.
The award amount for femur or comminuted fractures is not always higher than other fractures, however. A major factor when determining the value of the case is how the broken bone has affected and will continue to affect the victim. Did the victim lose time at work? Do they suffer from chronic pain? Is there scarring?
For example, tibia fractures in the lower third of the bone are particularly troubling for adults. After the body has finished growing, blood supply to the tibia slows, making it difficult to keep the bone straight as it heals. Additionally, certain fractures, such as a tibial plateau fracture, put victims at a high risk of muscle and nerve damage.
Another important factor is the cost of the medical treatment that the victim has received and will need in the future. For example, did the fracture require extensive surgery? How big was their emergency room bill? Do they go to physical therapy?
Finally, how did the injury happen? Using car accidents as an example, the median value for pedestrians is $125,000, and for passengers, $ 97,300. The median value in a truck accident is greater at $160,500.
If you were injured in a fall, car accident, or workplace accident, our personal injury lawyers may be able to help you. To discuss your case with our legal team at no charge, call (800) 553-8082 or fill out our online form.Sample Verdicts & Settlements
- 2019, New York: $25,000 Settlement A mother is driving with her infant as a passenger when she gets into an accident. The infant suffers a right open tibia-fibula fracture. She files a claim on her child’s behalf, and settles with the insurance company, State Farm, for $25K. The money will be held in an account for the infant’s benefit.
- 2019, New York: $300,000 Settlement A young boy is crossing the street in New York City when he is struck by a vehicle. He suffers an open oblique spiral fracture of his left tibia and fibula. The boy’s parents make a settlement with the GEICO, who insures both them and the at-fault driver. The at-fault driver’s insurance covers $100,000 and the remaining $200,000 is covered by their underinsured motorist insurance.
- 2019, Alabama: $30,000 Settlement In this premises liability case, a mother sues a trampoline park for an injury her son sustained while using the trampolines. The boy fractured his left tibia and fibula. The defendant denies liability but settles in the amount of $30K.
- 2018, Nevada: $306,000 Verdict A minor suffers an open right femur fracture, requiring surgery and causing permanent scarring, in an accident when he and a family member attempt to hitch a trailer to a pickup truck. The minor’s mother files a claim against the family member. The minor alleges that the family member was negligent, and the family member’s insurance company offers to settle for $306K.
- 2016, Maryland: $375,000 Verdict A 37-year-old woman is hit in an "unmarked" crosswalk on Georgia Avenue in Montgomery County. She suffers left displaced tibia and fibula fractures and a left ankle fracture, which are repaired with hardware. She has a noticeable 5-inch surgical scar down the center of her knee. The defendant vigorously contests liability, claiming that the plaintiff walked out into the middle of the road without looking. The defendant had a $500,000 insurance policy with Amica.
- 2016, Washington: $ 1,000,000 Settlement A 60-year-old man driving a Smart Car hit an overturned dump truck in the middle of the roadway. He claims that the overturned truck did not provide flares or other warnings to motorists. However, a neighbor who witnessed the accident claimed that he was speeding and that the truck’s taillights were illuminated. The man fractured his tibia and contracted MRSA, resulting in more than $425,000 in medical bills.
If you or a loved one was injured due to someone’s negligence, you have a legal right to compensation. Our experienced lawyers handle serious personal injury cases. To get a free consultation about your claim, call (800) 553-8082 or fill out our online form.