This is a cosmetic surgery error lawsuit filed by a woman in Anne Arundel County. It was filed in Health Claims Arbitration on March 8, 2017, and is the 116th medical malpractice case filed in Maryland in 2017.Summary of Plaintiff's Allegations
Plaintiff has a rhinoplasty (nose surgery) done by defendants. During the procedure, the defendants lacerate the outside of the woman's nose. She has extensive medical treatment done in an attempt to repair the laceration, but is left with a permanent scar on her nose. Plaintiff claims this causes her severe mental anguish.Additional Comments
This "additional comments" area is where we provide commentary on the lawsuit to help you better understand the key issues and the `relative merits of the claim. We do not have much to offer on this case. There are not a lot of facts provided and the plaintiff's malpractice lawyer did not file an expert report with the lawsuit.
But, while we are here, let's speculate because even if we guess the facts wrong, it is what potentially could have happened to you if you are reading this. The laceration on the outside of her nose was probably intentional. Let's assume the patient got an open rhinoplasty and the doctor made incisions on her external nasal rim which is how procedure can be done. Certainly, this can cause a scar or a change in the normal curvature of her nose. So the malpractice case under this scenario be that the incisions should have been made internally rather than on the external rim.
Scarring is risk of a rhinoplasty. But that does not mean that a scar cannot be the result of medical malpractice.
A few more random comments:
- This case was filed days before the statute of limitations. The bet here is that the average settlement or verdict in cosmetic surgery cases filed on the eve of the statute of limitations is pretty low.
- The plaintiff is getting a cosmetic procedure because she is sensitive about her appearance. So any surgery that makes her appearance worse is going to have real value. Juries do not always see it that way but they should. The harm caused is the harm caused to that particular victim.
- The plaintiff either moved out of state after this incident or traveled here for the procedure.
- Anne Arundel County
- Two plastic surgeons in Severna Park
- An internist in Severna Park
- The Laser Center
- Providing medical care to plaintiff in violation of the standards of care
- Using a poor technique in performing the rhinoplasty
- Lacerating the outside of the plaintiff's nose and causing a permanent and visible scar on the plaintiff's nose
- None at this time
Call Miller & Zois today if you have endured an injury due to the negligence of a doctor. We have a long history of results in medical malpractice cases. Speak to a caring medical malpractice attorney who can help you at 800-553-8082 or get a free online case review.More Malpractice Claim Information
- Sample verdicts and settlements in facial scar cases
- Cosmetic surgery errors and medical malpractice
- Other medical malpractice cases filed in 2017 in Anne Arundel County