This is a plastic surgery malpractice lawsuit filed by a woman after undergoing breast reduction surgery. She filed this claim in Health Claims Arbitration on April 6th, and it is the 165th medical malpractice lawsuit filed in Maryland in 2017. This is the second breast reduction lawsuit filed in Maryland in 2017. The first was filed Baltimore City in January.Summary of Plaintiff's Allegations
Plaintiff goes to defendant Allegany Plastic Surgery for breast reduction surgery. She is under the treatment of defendant plastic surgeon. Defendant performs a bilateral reduction mammoplasty.
The woman alleges that defendants failed to provide appropriate care, failed to timely diagnose her and respond to her medical situation promptly after surgery, and failed to provide appropriate surgical care during a subsequent exploration and revision surgery done a month later.
Due to defendant's negligence, the woman suffers injuries that require medical care and additional procedures and permanent disfigurement and injury.Additional Comments
There are not a lot of facts alleged in this lawsuit. So we will look at these cases and some of the common themes.
First, these are relatively few risks of breast reduction surgery. Certainly, as with any surgical procedure, infection is a possible complication. Another common injury is limited or loss of nipple-areolar sensation.
One risk that leads to malpractice lawsuits is when the blood flow to the breast is compromised. The breast gland needs ample supply of blood. If that supply is impeded for any reason, the tissue that is being supplied will be deprived of its oxygen and will atrophy or die.
Other possible complications include the loss of the ability to breastfeed and interference with future mammograms.
Most breast reduction surgeries also involve some measure of liposuction for final tailoring of shape and contour which is also the source of malpractice lawsuits.
Plastic surgery cases are challenging for malpractice lawyers as it trying an injury case in Allegany County. We do not have enough information to access the merits of this case but they will need to be good to make this case work.Jurisdiction
- Allegany Plastic Surgery
- Failure to provide appropriate surgical care during a bilateral reduction mammoplasty
- Failure to timely diagnose and respond to medical situation promptly
- Failing to provide appropriate surgical care and medical treatment during a subsequent exploration and revision surgery
- Physician's assistant failed to properly assist the surgeon during the bilateral reduction mammoplasty
- Medical Negligence
- Imputed Negligence/Respondeat Superior
- Breach of Duty to Obtain Informed Consent
- Loss of Consortium
- None at this time
If you have suffered due to the negligence of a doctor call Miller & Zois today. We can help you get the compensation you deserve. We have a long history of results in medical cases in Maryland, earning large verdicts and settlements. Call 800-553-8082 or get a free online case review.More Malpractice Claim Information
- Read about similar claims also filed in 2017:
- Another case filed in this area recently: An ER malpractice case filed after the hospital fails to diagnose three fractures in a man's spine