Suing Washington, D.C. Corporations

I am filing a lawsuit in Prince George’s County, Maryland car accident injury case. Although the accident took place in Maryland, one of the defendants is a Washington, D.C. corporation that owned the other vehicle involved, and may have employed the defendant driver.

The following link allows you to look up the resident agent of D.C. corporations for service of process:
If the resident agent cannot be located, or there is no resident agent, substitute service may be made on the Superintendent of Corporations, 1-202-442-4432. They will need 2 copies of all documents, a check for $15.00, and an affidavit of the reasonable efforts made to locate and/or serve the resident agent.

This would be a valid substitute service under Md. Rule 2-124 (d) because the Superintendent of Corporations is “expressly or impliedly authorized to accept service of process.”