Selective Insurance: Auto Accident Claims and Settlements
Selective Insurance is a regional insurance company that sells, among other things, both personal and commercial car insurance. At last count, they served 22 states, including Maryland. Car insurance customers, according to a JD Power study, seem largely happy with their coverage. In accident claims dealing with Selective, the results are more mixed.
Last year, this insurer was fined $10,000 by the Maryland Insurance Administration for failing to include a fraud disclosure on Selective’s applications for insurance and on its claim forms. But it is hard to make much of this, it is just a lack of technical compliance of a new law.
Selective Insurance tends to write larger than average insurance polices. Accordingly, there is likely to be more coverage when it insurers the defendant than with the average insurance company in Maryland.How Does Selective Insurance Value Injury Claims for Settlement Purposes?
Selective evaluates the accident victim’s medical records and bills and decides how much treatment it thinks was necessary for the accident and what the fair value is of (1) the medical treatment, (2) past or future wage loss and (3) the victim’s pain and suffering. Llike most insurance companies, typically undervalues all of these categories before a lawsuit is filed.Who Are the Lawyers Who Defend Lawsuits Against Selective Insurance?
Selective has in-house counsel in Maryland that handles many of the tort claims against it. For larger cases where the the verdict could potentially exceed the policy limits, it hires counsel to defend the suit. It certainly spends more money defending individual accident claims when they bring in outside counsel.Is Selective Insurance a Good Insurance Company to Bring a Claim Against?
Selective Insurance is hard to label with respect to quality of settlement offers in car accident cases. Our experience with its settlement offers is that they run the gambit from ridiculous to reasonable. We do think that the gap between fair and where Selective is narrows as the lawsuit process unfolds.Our Lawyers Can Help You With Your Accident Claim Against Selective Insurance
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident call us at 800-553-8082 or get a free on-line Selective Insurance claim evaluation and consultation.
- Valuing Car Accident Claims (how much is your case worth?)
- Is There a Formula to Calculate Personal Injury Accident Settlement Value? (discussion of whether there is a formula to calculate what should be the amount of a personal injury settlement in a car accident and malpractice case).
- Handling Claims Without Getting Counsel (tips for personal injury victims)
- Help Center (samples of everything and anything a car accident lawyer needs to handle a traffic collision suit)
- Handling Your Property Damage Claim (tips for auto accident property damage claims)
- Sample Demand Letter (letter to insurance company for compensation by settlement)
- Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions (questions about accident claims against Selective Insurance and other car insurance companies)