Mentor ObTape Vaginal Sling Study
The Journal of Urlogy Study ( J Urol, 2006;176(2):651-654)).
This are some pertient portions of the Journal of Urology which found that high rates of vaginal erosions and extrusions are associated with the Mentor ObTape Vaginal Sling. Similar problems have been reported with the C. R. Bard, which makes and sells Avaulta Plus and Avaulta Solo synthetic surgical mesh tissue supports, and Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon/Gynecare's vaginal mesh product. The OBTape study reports:
"The transobturator tape method is a newer surgical technique for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence. Limited data exist related to complications with this approach or the types of mesh products used. We report our experience with vaginal erosions associated with the Mentor ObTape and American Medical Systems Monarc transobturator slings."
"Beginning in December 2003 selected female patients with anatomic urinary incontinence were prospectively followed after placement of the Mentor ObTape. Beginning in January 2004 we also began using the American Medical Systems Monarc in similar patients. Patients were admitted overnight after surgery, discharged on oral antibiotics, and seen in the clinic at 6 weeks postoperatively. A total of 67 patients have undergone placement of the Mentor ObTape and 9 of those patients (13.4%) have had vaginal extrusions of the sling," wrote B.S. Yamada and colleagues, Virginia Mason Medical Center.
"Eight patients reported a history of persistent vaginal discharge. One patient presented initially to an outside facility with a left thigh abscess tracking to the left inguinal incision site. Each patient was taken back to the operating room for mesh removal. A total of 56 patients have undergone placement of the AMS Monarc and none have had any vaginal erosions."
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries and would like to learn more about the Mentor ObTape Sling lawsuits that are pending around the country, call 800-553-6000 or click here for a free confidential case evaluation by a Mentor ObTape Sling lawyer.
- Bard Avaulta Mesh Lawsuit Information (more on vaginal mesh lawsuits involving Avaulta Plus and Avaulta Solo)
- Lawyer Referrals (information for lawyers and doctors interested in referring their vaginal mesh Gynecare, Bard Avaulta, Mentor ObTape Sling patients to our law firm)
- TOT Lawsuit Information (background and update on Mentor TOT lawsuits)
- Obtape Lawsuit Information (more information on efforts to form a TOT class action lawsuit for discovery purposes)
- Another Obtape Study (a less critical study of Mentor Obtape that showed a vaginal mesh erosion rate in 6.2% of women in the study)
- Average Product Defect Verdicts (data on product defect verdicts by type of product)
- Products Liability Blog (more on product defect claimss)
- Sample Product Defect Complaint (example complaint)
- Sample Products Liability Interrogatoires (Plaintiff's interrogatories)