Maryland Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Car insurance companies in Maryland are required by law to provide coverage for the medical, hospital, and disability benefits for named insureds on car insurance policies unless the insured specifically waived PIP insurance (PIP cannot be waived for minors.
So, to some extent, Maryland has no-fault insurance. But few in Maryland have significant PIP policies. The average insured driver in Maryland has a $2,500 PIP policy, covering little in serious car accident cases.
Still, PIP insurance is helpful to have. First, it is good for drivers who are at-fault for the accident because they can still get payment for some of their medical bills after an accident which encourages people to get needed treatment they might otherwise forego because they do not have the money to pay the outstanding medical bills. PIP insurance is very advantageous when you are injured in a car accident in Maryland from the negligence of another because, under the collateral source rule, injury victims recover twice for medical bills and lost wages.
Let look at an example. Lets say you have $10,000 in medical bills and $10,000 in PIP coverage with State Farm as the result of the negligence of an Allstate driver. Your PIP insurance with State Farm will pay all of your medical bills. Yet you can still collect from Allstate for the same medical bills (and of course for your pain and suffering).
Maryland PIP Statute of Limitations
Maryland personal injury protection law (Insurance Code Section 19-508) makes time of the essence in filing a PIP claim. There is a one year "statute of limitations" in which a PIP claim must be brought from the date of the accident. If you make a claim after that, you will not be able to recover an benefits.
Can Our Law Firm Help You?
Our Maryland accident lawyers handle only serious injury accident cases where the victim was not at fault for the accident. If we do handle your case, our lawyers do not charge our clients for making a PIP application. Our law firm typically fills out and processes PIP applications for our clients.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Applications
- AIG Insurance PIP Application
- AIU Insurance PIP Application
- Allstate Insurance PIP Application (more information on Allstate claims)
- Donegal Insurance PIP Application
- Electric Insurance PIP Application
- Erie Insurance PIP Application (more information on ERIE claims)
- Esurance Pip Application
- GEICO Insurance PIP Application (more information on GEICO claims)
- Hartford Insurance PIP Application
- MAIF Insurance PIP Application (more information on MAIF claims)
- Mid Atlantic Insurance Group PIP Application
- Mutual Benefit Group PIP Application
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance PIP Application (more information on Nationwide claims)
- Progressive Insurance PIP Application (more information on Progressive claims)
- USAA Insurance PIP Application (more infomation on USAA claims)
- An Overview of PIP Coverage in Maryland Accident Cases
- Sample Demand Letter (sample demand to insurance company)
- Sample PIP Denial Letter (sample PIP denial from Liberty Mutual)
- Maryland Accident Lawyer Blog ( personal injury protection insurance in Maryland discussion)
- Maryland Pedestrian Accident Cases (pedestrians in Maryland can get PIP insurance from the car that hit them)
- Insurance Company Tricks (how they take advantage of victims by ignoring the collateral source rule)
- Can Maryland Auto Accident Lawyers Charge Fees for PIP? (accident lawyers in Maryland can charge a fee for obtaining PIP benefits but not on a contingency basis... but our accident law firm handles our client's no-fault PIP claims free of charge)